Nanoha charging Starlight Breaker
|Primary caster||Nanoha Takamachi|
|Japanese name||スターライト・ブレイカー |
|First app.||Nanoha (ep.11)|
|Starlight Breaker Plus|
Starlight Breaker Plus breaks through the Wolkenritter's forcefield
|Primary caster||Nanoha Takamachi|
|Japanese name||スターライトブレイカー＋ |
(Sutāraito Bureikā Purasu)
|First app.||A's manga (ch.1)|
Starlight Breaker (スターライトブレイカー Sutāraito Bureikā) is, along with Divine Buster, a signature spell of Nanoha Takamachi. The spell seems to be one of, if not the, most powerful in Nanoha's arsenal. Although Nanoha introduced Starlight Breaker as a "variation of Divine Buster", its mechanics are quite different. To cast the spell, Nanoha condenses stray magical energy in the area into a large sphere, then strikes it with Raising Heart to release the energy as a powerful beam. This spell is most useful when cast towards the end of a battle between high-level mages, since the area will be saturated with excess energy from their attacks.
Starlight Breaker is also known as "Starlight" (「
At the end of the days in Riot Force 6, Nanoha has taught Teana not the spell, but the skill to collect mana for bombardment. Teana is still in practice when she casts Starlight Breaker in Sound Stage X, her own collection-bombardment which temporarily borrows her teacher's spell name. When she totally inherits "Starlight", she will add her own arrangement and name her own spell.
In The MOVIE 1st and ViVid, the "collection-bombardment" is explained as a recycling of the mana just used and spread over the battlefield. Therefore, even if Nanoha's mana has been exhausted the spell can still be cast. It is also a reason for Nanoha to teach collection-bombardment to Teana, as her mana capacity is low and such a skill will become her "absolute firepower".
When used by Reinforce, Starlight Breaker has the aria "I summon the light of destruction down upon my prisoners. Stars, gather, and become the light which pierces everything. Tear through everything in a blaze of light."
- In Nanoha, Nanoha casts the spell upon Fate Testarossa.
- In A's, the spell is used twice by Nanoha and once by Reinforce. Notably, Reinforce includes an aria as part of her casting (see above), while Nanoha does not require one; her version of the spell is far more powerful than Nanoha's, drawing energy in much greater quantities than the standard version. Nanoha herself was seen practicing it in the A's manga.
- In StrikerS, Nanoha uses Raising Heart's Blaster System to shoot 5 simultaneous Starlight Breakers at Vivio.
- In Sound Stage X, it is revealed that Nanoha taught collection-bombardment to Teana Lanster before the latter's graduation from Riot Force 6. Teana then casts her own Starlight Breaker to create a shortcut for Subaru and Ixpellia to escape a burning facility, in a manner somewhat reminiscent of how Nanoha herself rescued the young Subaru with a Divine Buster during the Coastal Airport 8 fire.
In addition to the default Starlight Breaker effect, Nanoha developed a few variations of it:
- Starlight Breaker Plus (スターライトブレイカー＋) is an improved version which is charged for a longer time before firing, giving it greater power and forcefield-piercing properties. Nanoha developed this variant in the time between the original series and A's.
- Starlight Breaker ex (スターライトブレイカーex) is used in Exelion Mode, and uses a full magazine of cartridges to replace the energy that had to be gathered from the nearby area while still surpassing its power. Its effects are similar to Starlight Breaker Plus, but the casting time is almost halved.
- Starlight Breaker ex-fb (スターライトブレイカーex-fb) is cast on Vivio using 4 extra Blaster Bits to destroy the Relic core in her body.
- Starlight Breaker Multi-Raid (スターライトブレイカー・マルチレイド), shortened as SLB-MR, is cast under Blaster 1 in the team training battle in ViVid, being Mode "Multi-Raid" to attack numerous opponents. Several Blaster Bits are charging the spell simultaneously, probably aiming at different targets in the same direction.
- Starlight Breaker Fireworks Version is used by Nanoha (with Yuuno's help) in Nanoha Sound Stage 03 on the occasion of Fate's anniversary of her joining with Arf.
Other variations include:
- Starlight Breaker Phantom Strike (スターライトブレイカー・ファントムストライク), shortened as SLB-PS, is cast by Teana in the team training battle in ViVid, being Shift "Phantom Strike" to attack numerous opponents.
- Luciferion Breaker (ルシフェリオンブレイカー) is a copy version used by Material-S in Battle of Aces.
- True Luciferion Breaker (真ルシフェリオンブレイカー) is a further variation of the Luciferion Breaker used by Material-S in Gears of Destiny, but instead of pink magical energy, this version uses fire.