A Magic System (術式 jutsushiki, lit. "arts expression/style") is a collection of methods and each associated rule that are either or both applied by a mage and their Devices to undergo the conversion of magical energy into specific forms. Two major systems are recognized in the series: the Midchilda system, and the Belka system. The Belkan system is further subdivided into Ancient Belka and Modern Belka, with the latter being an emulation of Ancient Belkan, by using Modern Midchildan principles as its basis. Practitioners of Midchilda and Belka systems can be told apart by the form of their respective magic circles.
Chrono Harlaown, in a conversation with Yuuno Scrya, states that 891 "classes" of magic have been documented by the Administrative Bureau. Whether this refers to separate magic systems like Midchilda and (Ancient) Belka, or some other way of classifying types of magic, is not specifically explained.
In the wordings of the Administrative Bureau (i.e. Midchildan language), the (national) adjectives for Midchilda and Belka remain the same, e.g. Midchilda Wizard Rank. They will be remained unchange in the magic system classification, but for inline grammatical purpose, "Midchildan" and "Belkan" will also be used in this wikia.
The Midchilda(n) system (ミッドチルダ式 Middochiruda shiki), named after the first and largest administrated world Midchilda, is the dominant magic system in the Nanoha universe. Although much is known about its spell classification, there is little information about its background or history.
The Ancient Belka(n) system (古代ベルカ式 Kodai Beruka shiki), also referred to as "Old Belka" by the Administrative Bureau, was the prevalent magic system during the Belkan era, but is almost forgotten in modern times. Except for actual or offsprings of Ancient Belkans (e.g. the Wolkenritter, Einhard Stratos), only the Saint Church seems to still practise it. The Ancient Belkan system practitioners, generally known as knights (instead of mages), eschew ranged attacks for anti-personnel melee combat tactics.
One of the defining features of the Ancient Belkan system is the Armed Devices, which mostly incorporate the cartridge system to dramatically boost the magical power of their masters. As introduced in ViVid, there are also unarmed close-combat forms of magical combat within the Ancient Belkan system, e.g. Kaiser Arts.
The Modern Belka(n) system (近代ベルカ式 Kindai Beruka shiki), referred to as merely "Belka" by the Administrative Bureau, arose from a combination of the modern Midchildan system and the Ancient Belkan system preserved, among others, by the Saint Church. In 0065, it experiences a boost in popularity when Nanoha Takamachi and Fate Testarossa successfully integrate the cartridge system (a quintessential Ancient Belkan invention) into their Intelligent Devices (a defining feature of the Midchildan system).
The Modern Belkan system is largely combat-oriented and focuses on enhancing the practitioners' physical abilities and weapons. It is particularly effective in one-on-one melee combats but weak at long-distance/ranged battles.
Other systems and abilitiesEdit
Additionally, there are also other magical systems or similar but non-magical systems/abilities introduced in the series.
- Formula Eltria, the sorcerous power manipulation skills (魔導力運用技術 madōryoku unyō gijutsu) used by the Florian sisters in The Gears of Destiny.
- The unique magic system used by Jail Scaglietti in StrikerS, which uses a magic circle similar to that of the Inherent Skills (see below).
- The anti-Eclipse skills powered with mana and used with AEC Armaments in Force.
- Inherent Skills of the Combat Cyborgs in StrikerS.
- The various Eclipse-induced abilities and skills inherent to the Eclipse infectees in Force.
- Armor Jacket and the "perfume skills" used by Isis Egret in Force.
- ^ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's THE COMICS, chapter 7.
- ^ a b c Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, DVD character ID Cards.
- ^ a b c Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS THE COMICS, chapter 5, page 7.
- ^ In ViVid, Japanese for Ancient Belka is written as
真正古代ベルカ Enshento Beruka, literally "Real Ancient Belka".
- ^ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, episode 03.
- ^ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS Chronicle.
- ^ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, episode 22.